"THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH, ROCK SOLID!!!
WOW!! I could not believe the AWESOME library books you sent to compliment our WITS program!! The local RCMP fellow is coming in again this week and we will sure use them.
They will be kept in a safe and special place at Edgewater Elementary.
Because of WITS we have had minimal primary discipline this year. AGAIN THANK YOU!!"
- Sharlene Scofield, Principal, Edgewater Elementary BC
"I am writing on behalf of staff, students and parents of Hillcrest Elementary to express our gratitude and appreciation for the support that is given to Rock Solid’s WITS and WITS Leads Programs in our schools. Our students have been trained in WITS for many, many years and it has become a ‘by-word’ in terms of helping us to avoid and/or resolve conflicts peacefully. From Kindergarten onwards are children and their families are familiar with the vocabulary and proponents of the WITS program. We have had a Social Responsibility goal in our School Growth Plan for the past 5 years, and each year we name the WITS program as one of the taught strategies that help us further our goal.
We have had tremendous support in implementing this program through the Rock Solid Foundation, the Saanich Police and the University of Victoria. The work that these agencies/people do in order to assist us could not be done without the support of generous sponsors such as yourselves. Please know that this is much appreciated!
This year we were fortunate enough to have a student who won the poster contest; as a result she received a very much appreciated donation of books to our school Library. When asked for her ‘artist’s statement’, Lillian beautifully summed up what the WITS program means to our students and school community by saying: “I think WITS is about being a friend, not being a bully and including others. My poster was about making friends even if you’re not the same.” Out of the mouths of babes…!
Once again, I would like to thank you for your generous support of the WITS Programs. I am sure I speak for many, many students, families, staff and community members when I say how very much appreciated this is! "
Yours truly, Mrs. Tracy Shaw, Principal – Hillcrest Elementary
"Dear Wits Program Contact,
I am the Teacher-Librarian and ESL Teacher at Prospect Lake Elementary School in Saanich. On behalf of the staff and students, I would like to thank you for the marvellous WITS/Rock Solid Bookcase of fine quality resources that you generously donated to our school. We have made good use of them already, as a follow-up to our WITS awareness program earlier in the year, when our school liaison police officer came and spoke to the students. The badges were a hit!
After I received your sturdy bookcase, I organized a special WITS/Rock Solid day in the library with a display of the posters and brochures, as well as a WITS Contest with prizes. I thought you would be interested to know that students, staff and parents welcomed the event and three points especially stood out that day, after all the classes had been to my presentation:
- Children are intensely interested in The Bully Circle Poster and want to know more about the various aspects of bullying than the Poster now shows. I would suggest that a larger poster with more information and clear graphics would be a wise investment for the future. (Perhaps one per school?) Students studied the small poster very carefully and were pleased to take them back to each classroom.
- The students, especially after my discussion of your excellent new resources, know the WITS acronym well. It's very effective and easily remembered, even by my middle-aged brain!
- Good quality, engaging literature drives home your point most effectively. I would like to commend you on your excellent title selection. (I would bet a Librarian was involved. Smart move!) The students were eager to sample the books and listened intently when I read them.
In closing, I have made a place of honour in the Library for the WITS/Rock Solid Bookcase and the students all know that if they see or hear a bullying episode, the resources are always right there, ready for them to recommend to their teachers or families.
Thanks again for your invaluable service to our school."
- Sincerely, Pat Miller, Prospect Lake Elementary School